The 10 Best Comforter Picks in 2019
Known as the softest bedding on the planet, the Cariloha Bamboo comforter is 100 percent viscose from bamboo, a plant previously used to make paper as its most flexible product.
Thanks to new technologies, bamboo fibers are now being processed into thin strands suitable for weaving into one of the smoothest fabrics on the planet. Bamboo viscose results in an incredibly soft, smooth material that is naturally thermal regulating and moisture-wicking. It is ideal for warm or cold sleepers. This type of fabric is increasingly popular for use in many varieties of bedding products due to its unbeatable softness and smooth, cool texture. It is also a clean, breathable fabric that is odor, mold and mildew resistant.
Bamboo viscose results in a lush, lovely fabric which drapes beautifully and has a unique glowing sheen. This comforter provides not only softness to the touch but is also lovely in appearance, for use with or without a duvet cover. It is an ideal choice for a natural bedding with a luxurious feel.
Bamboo is a renewable resource, so you can rest easy, knowing that the breathable, natural fabric offering you such comfort is also eco-friendly.
- Interior and exterior made entirely of viscose from bamboo
- Luxurious softness from most sustainable resource on the planet
- All-season weight for year-round use.
- Bamboo fiber results in smooth, cool texture
- Size: 96 X 92 inches
- Materials: 100% viscose-bamboo fiber
- Fill Weight: 9.04 pounds
- Warranty: Lifetime guarantee
- Twice as soft as cotton
- Thermal regulating
- Sustainable, renewable resource
- Bamboo fiber fill resists bunching and clumping for continual smoothness
- Dryclean only
- More expensive than similar products made with other materials
Dreamstead by Cuddledown is a luxuriously warm and fluffy real duck down comforter with superior loft. Dreamstead is handcrafted in Maine by people who understand the need for warm comfort on cold nights. Dreamstead has a beautiful 100 percent cotton sateen cover with a lovely sheen and smooth, cool feel. It is available in white, or a more updated light "windowpane" print. May be used with or without duvet cover.
Nothing beats real down for warmth, insulation, and fluffy luxurious comfort during cooler weather. You will find that your bed does not need an extra blanket once you cuddle up under this plush down comforter. This responsibly-sourced duck down is pre-washed four times to be hypoallergenic and dust free. Cuddledown’s products are Oeko-Tex certified to be free of harmful chemicals, and RDS (Responsible Down Standard) certified to be responsibly sourced and cruelty free; perfect for both allergy sensitive sleepers, and those who get a better night’s sleep knowing their comfortable down is also eco-friendly.
Dreamstead by Cuddledown’s plush down fill is covered by a 100 percent natural cotton fabric that has been combed and blended into a gorgeous sateen finish. Sateen has the smooth, cool texture and beautiful sheen that makes your down comforter comfortable even in the warmer weather. Cotton is a naturally breathable, temperature regulating fabric which allows for proper airflow to prevent moisture from accumulating during sleep.
If you enjoy being wrapped in the warmth and comfort offered by fluffy goose down on cold winter nights, Dreamstead by Cuddledown is the ultimate in comfort for you.
- 100% cotton
- Washed white goose down is hypoallergenic and dust free
- Sleek cotton sateen 300 thread count cover
- Box-stitched construction keeps fill in place
- Oeko-tex certified tested to be free of harmful chemicals
- Reinforced seams
- Handcrafted in Maine
- Ultra soft and fluffy
- Lavish warmth for cooler climates
- Size: 88 X 92 X 2 inches
- Materials: 100% cotton cover, 100% goose down fill
- Fill Weight: 4.3 lbs.
- Warranty: Must be requested from customer service
- Made in the USA (Maine)
- Responsibly sourced down
- Oeko-Tex certified free of harmful chemicals
- Constructed with corner loops for duvet attachment
- Plush but not overstuffed
- Should only be spot-washed
- Cotton sateen cover may pill if not used with duvet cover
The Linenspa All-Season White Down Alternative Quilted Comforter is a welcome alternative to down comforters. The Linenspa has more than 5,000 five-star reviews. It comes with eight corner and side loops to secure duvet cover.
Linenspa comes with a sleeker, less-fluffy, more streamlined appearance than typical down comforters. It can be used with duvet-cover, or you can purchase the reversible version with two attractive complementing color combinations. Box stitched design ensures that fill stays in place and resists clumping.
This comforter may be the perfect choice for you if you prefer a less bulky look and feel for a good night’s sleep.
Down alternatives are a great choice for those who suffer from allergies, asthma and dust mite sensitivities and require a down-free, washable comforter. They are also budget-friendly.
Though Linenspa Down Alternative Comforter is sold as washable, the label specifies best results through drycleaning but goes on to suggest washing on gentle cycle with cold water for good results at home.
The Linenspa Down Alternative Comforter is perfectly weighted to be comfortable year-round with enough fill to insulate you during cold weather, and a smooth, cool surface cover light enough for warmer weather.
All in all, this is a good buy for those looking for an affordable down alternative comforter that offers comfort and warmth very similar to down without the inconvenience and expense of dry-clean only real down filled comforters.
- Ultra-soft, all-season microfiber comforter
- 8 built-in side loops to secure to duvet cover
- Microfiber down alternative fill
- Box-stitched to maintain fluffiness
- Size: 18 X 14 X 5 inches
- Materials: Shell is 100% polyester microfibers, fill is hypoallergenic down alternative
- Fill Weight: 55 oz.
- Warranty: 3-year warranty
- Machine washable
- Perfectly weighted for year-round comfort
- Sleek, streamlined appearance
- Soft and fluffy, but streamlined without great loft
- Though marketed as washable, label specifies that dry-cleaning is optimum choice
- May be too hot for spring and summer
- Slightly flatter than typical
The Siberian Goose Down 1200-thread-count Comforter by Egyptian Bedding is a luxurious goose down comforter covered in very soft Egyptian Cotton from the Giza Valley where it was harvested originally for use by Pharaohs. At 1200 thread count per square inch, the cover is soft, smooth and silky and naturally moisture-wicking to prevent heat entrapment.
It's recommended to cover with duvet, but you may wish to forgo the duvet cover in favor of the amazing feel of the comforter alone, in which case you can spot wash and line air, or dry clean only.
Baffle box design keeps fill in place and prevents slipping and clumping. Double-needle stitch prevents annoying down leakage.
Siberian Goose Down Comforter contains 100 percent real goose down. Down is a naturally insulating and temperature regulating natural material live-harvested from the soft underlayer of duck feathers. Unlike synthetic fills, down allows breathability and airflow to prevent sweating, making a fantastic choice to prevent over-heating and night sweats.
The ultimate in plush, loft and luxury, This goose down filled comforter is allergen-free and makes a great choice for those who love real down but suffer from allergen sensitivities. Down may take several hours to fluff to full loft after package opening, and comes complete with an attractive zippered bag for easy storage. You will truly be sleeping under cloud-like softness and all-natural, eco-friendly materials that will ensure you rest easy at night.
- 1200-thread-count Egyptian cotton cover
- Elegant gold rope piping with loops and sewn corner tabs to secure
- Premium baffle box design for loft and warmth
- Size: 90 X 90 inches
- Materials: Cover long staple Giza cotton; fill 90% down, 10% small feather
- Fill Weight: 5 lbs.
- Warranty: Case-by-case basis, only when purchased from authorized Egyptian Bedding dealer
- Double-needle stitching to prevent down leakage
- High thread count cover at 1200 thread per inch
- Naturally insulating for cold weather sleeping
- Giza cotton for a soft, slippery feel
- Delivered with zippered storage bag
- Dryclean only
- Not as fluffy as expected
- Duvet cover recommended
If you crave the matchless luxury of pure silk draping around your body while you sleep, this is the comforter for you. Historically silk bedding was reserved for royalty due to its unmatched luxury. Handcrafted 100 percent silk shell is incredibly smooth and cool to the touch with a gorgeous, matchless sheen. This comforter is 100 percent Grade A mulberry silk both in cover and silk floss filling. A small zipper is hidden on the side of the comforter to allow inspection of silk floss filling. Sleep like royalty!
Silk is a completely natural fiber that is uniquely breathable for a perspiration-free sleep. It's lightweight, smooth, slippery and cool in the summer, yet the natural draping effect which makes silk so lovely in clothing is also insulating in bedding to keep you warm in cooler weather.
Silk is a part of a good skin care regimen and prevents sleep wrinkles. Many people use silk as part of a natural beauty regimen. Besides the benefits to skin, sleeping on pure silk will prevent hair from tangling and breaking during sleep.
This beautiful comforter should only be drycleaned but may be spot-washed with warm water and air-cleaned on a line or balcony.
Yes, it's more expensive than most other bedding choices, but nothing quite equals the feeling of sleeping in pure silk. Also, this comforter comes in a gorgeous gift-box and makes a truly priceless heirloom-style wedding gift. That’s if you can bear to part with it.
- Shell is 100% long strand silk and fill is 100% silk floss
- Cool in summer and warm in winter
- Naturally moisture-wicking to keep you perspiration free
- Incredibly smooth with beautiful sheen
- Zippered side to allow interior inspection
- Luxuriously smooth and cool
- Size: 87 X 90 inches
- Materials: 100% Grade A silk cover, 100% silk floss fill
- Fill Weight: 3.85 lbs.
- Warranty: 45 day money back guarantee
- No shifting of interior fill
- 3 times more breathable than cotton
- Prevents sleep wrinkles and hair tangles
- Can be air-cleaned on a line or balcony
- Drapes beautifully, with beautiful sheen
- Dryclean only
- 100 percent pure silk is pricier than alternatives
GoLinens Pacific Coast SuperLoft Down Comforter offers all-season warmth and superior loft and fluffiness all wrapped up in a plush, cloud-like comforter that’s hard to top.
Quilted cover is 100 percent cotton with a barrier weave designed to prevent down leakage. The beautiful cover has a patented design to allow each individual tufted box to expand. This creates fluffier chambers resulting in a plush superloft unique to Golinen. Unlike synthetic fabric blends, cotton is naturally moisture-wicking and temperature regulating. If you like sleeping in cloud-like loft and fluffiness this is the comforter of your sweetest dreams. Stitched with a comfort lock border, this edging prevents fill content from shifting or clumping. Includes duvet loops for easy attachment.
What are the advantages of real down? The cloud-like fluffiness, warmth, and breathability of real down is unbeatable. Down is nature’s best insulator. Down fill is naturally temperature regulating, without a heavy feel, making it suitable for winter warmth. It’s also light enough in weight for summer comfort. The down in Golinen's Pacific Coast Superloft Comforter is hyper-washed to remove dust and allergens to be safe for the allergy sensitive.
Comforter can be used as a duvet insert or on its own. Dry clean or line air only, or spot wash with warm water.
Snuggle down under the best materials that nature has to offer with this ultra-plush, super-loft comforter. Drift away wrapped in a cloud, and it will truly offer a night of sweet dreams.
- True baffle box design
- Comfort lock border prevents contents shifting
- Fill is 600 fill power Pacific Coast White Down
- Hypercleaned to remove dust, dirt, and allergens
- Size: 88 x 90 inches
- Materials: 100% cotton cover, Pacific Coast Duck Down fill
- Fill Weight: 30 oz.
- Warranty: 12-year limited warranty
- Barrier weave prevents down leakage
- Pre-cleaned to remove allergens
- Fill is 75% down and 25% feather
- 12-year warranty
- Double needle corded edge
- Professionally launder or dryclean only
- Can run small
Sleep naturally with OrganicTextiles Australian Natural Wool Filled Comforter. This authentic wool, ethically sourced in Australia is encased in 100 percent 350-thread-count cotton sateen. No harmful pesticides or chemicals are used in the cotton production and processing. This comforter comes with duvet tabs and is streamlined yet incredibly insulating due to the natural wool fiber filling.
Wool has long been considered a versatile super fiber. It's naturally resistant to dust mites, mold, and even fire. Wool is moisture-wicking and temperature regulating for superior warmth without trapping moisture. Unlike down, wool is home-washable and a slightly less expensive option in natural filling fibers. The warm, insulating properties of wool have been used since ancient times in both clothing and bedding. Wool blankets have been a staple of survival in cold climates. Wool, however, is known to be itchy. So the perfect solution? Wrap up the natural insulating qualities of real wool in soft organic cotton woven into a lush, smooth sateen finish. Experience the best of both worlds by sleeping under warm wool wrapped up in a skin-friendly, cool and smooth cotton cover.
The wool filling provides a weightier comfort without the loft and fluffiness of down and down alternatives. Perfect for those who prefer a streamlined look and flatter comforter without losing warmth. Ideal for those who sleep best under cozy weight.
Australian wool is particularly fine and long-lasting, for impressive durability in a beautiful comforter.
- 100% natural Australian Wool fill
- 350 thread count sateen cotton cover
- Naturally temperature regulating
- Hypoallergenic and resists dust mites, mold, mildew, and fire
- Size: 88 x 88 inches
- Materials: 100% organic Cotton Cover Casing/ 100% wool fill
- Fill Weight: 8 lbs.
- Warranty: N/A
- Both natural and machine washable
- Eco-friendly, natural and renewable sustainable product
- Never treated with chemicals
- Wool fill adds weight
- Strong wool odor upon opening
One of the best parts of any trip, whether business or pleasure, is to fall into luxuriously crisp and fluffy hotel bedding, unlike anything we have at home. The Beckham Hotel Collection 1700 Series Luxury Goose Down Alternative Reversible Comforter offers that unbeatable luxury for your own home.
The Beckham Hotel Collection Reversible Comforter is an ultra-plush, all-season comforter with a gentle loft to keep you warm and cozy on winter nights and comfortable in summer weather. Described as a masterpiece, this luxurious comforter has strong hems and precise side stitching to make this washable comforter durable enough for many years of use. It comes in attractive color combinations to use alone or to be inserted into your favorite duvet cover.
Down alternative bedding is hypoallergenic. It resists mold, mildew and dust mites, making it ideal for allergy sensitive sleepers. It's light and fluffy, offering the cozy comfort of down while remaining washable and lightweight. Down alternative is considered ideal for both winter nights, and warm summer nights. Down alternative bedding is also much less expensive than typical real down bedding.
Reviews of Beckham Comforters are overwhelmingly favorable for pleasant, luxurious year-round sleep experience. The Beckham Hotel Collection 1700 Series Luxury Goose Down Alternative Reversible Comforter comes in a zippered bag for easy storage.
Bring home the Beckham Hotel Collection 1700 Series Goose Down Alternative Reversible Comforter and sleep as though every night is your dream vacation.
- Ultra-plush for year-round comfort
- Expert craftsmanship and design with durable hems and precise stitching
- Machine washable
- Durable hems and precise stitching
- Size: 89 x 89 inches
- Materials: 100% polyester microfiber
- Fill Weight: 6.45 lbs.
- Warranty: No warranty information; 30-day money-back guarantee
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Oversized for plenty of area
- Reversible with a variety of color combinations
- Use alone or as a duvet insert
- Hypoallergenic dust-mite resistant
- Actual comforter is a bit flatter than it appears in photos
The Utopia Down Alternative Comforter Duvet Insert has been described as "sleeping in a cloud." It has a truly superior loft and fluffiness. This plush 100 percent polyester comforter has a classic box pattern with strengthened piped edges to keep fill from clumping or shifting. The classic style is perfectly weighted for all season use, and is machine washable, ensuring a long lifetime for what is sure to be your favorite comforter.
The Utopia Bedding Down Alternative Comforter can be used alone or easily inserted into your favorite duvet cover, allowing you to change the look with the season.
And what are some of the advantages of down alternatives, vs real goose or duck down? Polyester siliconized down alternative fiberfill is completely hypoallergenic. It offers the plush feel and soft fluffiness of a down comforter without the inconvenience and expense of real goose down.
The Utopia Down Alternative Comfort is perfect for year-round use. The fiberfill is insulating for cold winter nights, yet light enough, and wrapped in a smooth, cool polyester fabric, so it will also keep you comfortably cozy during summer months as well. Sleeping wrapped up in a Utopia Bedding Down Alternative Comforter Duvet Insert will certainly send you off into deep sleep utopia for many years.
- Crisp looking duvet insert with superior loft and fluffiness
- Down-alternative siliconized fiber filling
- Classic box pattern with piped edges
- All-season comforter light enough for summer, but insulating for winter
- Superior loft and fluffiness
- Size: 88 x 88 inches
- Materials: 100% polyester
- Fill Weight: 250 GSM (grams per square meter)
- Warranty: No warranty information is offered
- Very budget friendly down alternative
- Corner tabs for duvet cover
- Edges reinforced to prevent clumping and shifting
- All-season comforter
- Long drying time after washing
- Lightweight quality
- No warranty, but comforter is less than $30.00 and comes with refund policy
The Buffy Cloud Comforter was launched as primarily as a more eco-friendly down alternative comforter. The eucalyptus fiber cover has the cool, luxuriously smooth and lightweight feel of typical polyester, but is made with moisture-wicking, 100 percent natural eucalyptus fibers. The fill is a fine polyester fiberfill made from recycled BPA-free water bottles.
Softer than cotton, eucalyptus fibers are naturally soothing to the skin and boast anti-inflammatory properties. It naturally repels mold, mildew, microbes, dust mites, and prevents mustiness, a property that makes eucalyptus fibers uniquely appropriate for bedding. Eucalyptus is a renewable resource, making the Buffy Cloud Comforter eco-friendly so you can rest easy. Buffy’s eucalyptus fiberfill is Oeko-Tex certified to be free of harmful chemicals.
The Buffy Cloud Comforter is breathable and temperature regulating and will keep you cooler than other down-alternative comforters of equal weight and loft. Each Buffy Cloud comforter from recycled BPA-free water bottles keeps 50 bottles out of landfills and protects 12 geese from plucking.
Sleeping under a Buffy Cloud Comforter has been described as "sleeping under a cloud," or "sleeping under cotton candy." The Buffy's cover is silky smooth to the touch and naturally cool. The plush fill is light and fluffy to ensure a cozy night’s sleep.
Overall, reviews of the Buffy Cloud comforter are very good, with overwhelmingly positive five-star ratings. Buffy is one of the year's most talked-about comforters.
Sleep with Buffy and drift off to sleep in a cloud!
- 100 percent eucalyptus fabric shell to naturally soothe skin
- 100 percent recycled PET fill made from recycled BPA-free water bottles
- Oeko-Tex certified free of harmful chemicals
- Antimicrobial materials to prevent dust mites, allergens, and mold
- Size: 90 "X 94" for Queen
- Materials: Cover is Lyocell-eucalyptus fibers 80%, Polyester 20% fill is 65% polyester, 10% lyocell 25% 37.5 polyester
- Fill Weight: 10.35 pounds
- Warranty: Manufacturing defects covered on a case-by-case basis
- Each comforter keeps fifty bottles out of landfills and protects geese
- Cover made of 100% eucalyptus fiber that's softer than cotton
- Lightweight while providing the right amount of warmth
- "Try before you buy," 30-day trial period
- Fluffy, light, and breathable
- Eco-friendly, animal-cruelty-free materials
- Eucalyptus lyocell is known for durability
- Over 15,000 five-star reviews
- Quiet during movement
- Free trial begins when order is placed, not upon arrival
- Some heat retention
- A bit more expensive than other down-alternative comforters
- Dry-cleaning preferable
It's time to try something new in the bedroom! There are so many options that it's difficult to know where to begin. Should you go natural, or can nature be improved upon? These are some of the important things to consider when it's time to purchase a new comforter.
There are synthetic options available to closely rival the natural products they were designed to imitate. Some of these options can even have some very specific benefits, such as being washable, and less expensive. But how do they really compare to the fibers brought to us by nature?
Down Vs. Down Alternative
The first thing to consider is the filling in your new comforter. It's the filling that gives it the qualities you are looking for. Important considerations are insulating properties, breathability, warmth, loft, fluffiness, or stream-lined appearance; all of these offering their own benefits. Most comforters fall into two categories for their fill: down or down alternatives.
Down is made from the fluffy undercoating of duck or goose feathers. It is the layer that protects the fowl from frigid temperatures, making it ideal to keep you warm and toasty in the winter, while still being light and breathable for summer. Most down filling is a mixture which consists of a high percentage of down, and a lesser percentage of actual feathers. Some feathers are necessary to add firmness and structure.
Down provides unbeatable, luxuriously fluffy, sleep-inducing comfort. It also insulates, while allowing moisture to escape. For warmth and breathability, you can't beat real down.
Typical down alternatives are made of polyester microfibers. They rival down in loft and fluffiness while being much less costly and often washable. Synthetic fiber fills may offer the warmth and comfort of down but are not as breathable so you may find them keeping you warmer than you'd like, or could find moisture being trapped under the covers with you.
Natural alternatives to synthetic fillers are now available on the market, for higher prices than synthetic fillers but still generally less than real down. Some natural, breathable, moisture-wicking fill alternatives are bamboo fibers, eucalyptus fibers, and wool. All have their unique properties and benefits.
Comforter Covers, Shells, or Casings
Once you've decided on which filler you prefer, the next decision is the cover or shell of your comforter. Are you looking for a duvet insert or a stand-alone comforter? Do you prefer natural fiber materials, or synthetic?
Again, polyester fibers are less expensive, easily washable, and can be soft and luxurious. Or if you prefer natural, there are many choices, from the typical cotton and ultra-smooth silk, or you can try the newer popular fabrics made from sustainable bamboo or eucalyptus fibers, which offer a luxurious feel of their own while keeping the natural benefits of breathability and temperature regulation.
Whichever way you decide to go, au naturel or alternative, today's market has something for everyone to ensure the best night's sleep possible for your very own individual preferences.