Best Mattresses for Side Sleepers for 2019 - ReviewThis
The Aurora is a luxury hybrid mattress, meaning it has a flat top commonly seen in all-foam mattresses, but an innerspring system of pocket coils underneath. Brooklyn Bedding went into the design phase with the goal of making a mattress that “sleeps cool.” Between the phase change materials, gel pad and air flow, it is one of the coolest mattress choices available on the market, making it ideal for hot sleepers. The Aurora stakes its reputation on being the mattress that keeps sleepers cool throughout the night. Even when you touch it straight out of the box, it feels cool.
Aurora is offered in three levels of firmness. Brooklyn Bedding recommends choosing soft if you are a side sleeper who likes being “hugged” by your mattress, or a thinner person. Choose medium if you change positions often. Choose firm if you are a stomach or back sleeper who doesn’t like to sink deeply into your mattress, or are on the heavier side.
The Aurora offers both the comfort of foam, and the bounce of a coil mattress. The Aurora is delivered in a box that allows for easy transportation from your door to your bedroom and quickly expands for immediate use. The Aurora is custom made in the U.S.A. with a 10-year warranty and 120-day trial period.
- Offered in three levels of firmness to let you decide the level of support you need
- Features a 1.5-inch top layer of patented CopperFlex™ foam, providing more responsive contouring with targeted pressure point relief and the antimicrobial properties of copper
- Surface infused with TitanCool™, a patented phase change molecule that maintains skin temperature at an ideal 88 degrees
- Engineered with a 8-inch base of up to 1,189 individually encased Quantum Edge™ coils for increased reactivity and support as well as superior motional isolation
- Constructed with a luxury smooth top weave
- Finished with a 1-inch high density foam base for added durability and reinforcement of individual coils
- Delivered in a box that allows for easy transportation from your door to your bedroom
- Made in the U.S.A. with a 10-year warranty and a 120-night risk free trial
- Dimensions: Queen: 60” x 80” x 13"
- Weight: 105 pounds for queen
- Material: Eco-friendly foams that carry the CertiPUR-US tag
- Brand: Brooklyn Bedding
- Suits all types of sleep positions
- Great heat distribution technology
- Incredible back support
- Good for heavier individuals
- Best for back and side sleepers
- Very cool sleeping, so ideal by those who generally feel too hot
- Subtle bounce
- No sinkage like memory foam
This mattress is truly unique in that green tea extract is used in place of chemicals to cover odor. It's also uniquely affordable, costing under $300. This allows a great memory foam bed experience at a very budget-friendly price. This mattress is wonderful for side sleepers, with Biofoam qualities to relieve pressure points and maintain spinal alignment.
The mattress arrives compressed, rolled, and shipped in a box. One negative quality is the length of time it takes to decompress, up to a week in some cases. However, for the uniquely reasonable price and antioxidant benefits of green tea, this mattress is worth the wait.
- 12 inch memory foam mattress foam is CertiPUR - US Certified for durability, performance, and content
- Three inches of memory foam, 2 inches Comfort Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High-density Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High-density Base Support Foam
- Mattress is infused with natural antioxidant, green tea extract to maintain freshness
- Dimensions: 60″ X 80″ X 6“
- Weight: 68 llbs
- Material: Knitted Jacquard Cool Fabric cover. Core is 2in Memory Foam + 2 inch Pressure Relief High Density Foam + 4 inch High Density Base Support Foam
- Brand: Zinus
- At less than $300 for a twelve inch mattress, a very affordable choice
- Impregnated with green tea renewable extract for odor control
- Good motion isolation quality
- Decompression may take up to a week
The Renue 10 Inch Memory Foam Hybrid mattress comes with copper-infused response foam, which helps regulate body temperature and provides comfortable ergonomic support, advanced cooling and quick recovery.
Copper cells within the mattress provide support for all sleeping positions, along with foam layer for pressure relief making it ideal for side sleeping. CertiPUR-US certified polyurethane foam is made without harmful chemicals or heavy metals.
The mattress comes compressed, sealed and delivered in a box. It may take a little time (24-48 hours) to grow to its optimum size after coming out of the box. Sleeping on the mattress before the 48 hours will not adversely affect the mattress.
- Ergonomically supports the body and reduces partner disturbance with pocketed coils
- Copper has natural ions, proven to keep mattress fresh, and inhibits the growth of odor-producing bacteria
- Dimensions: 80" x 60" x 10"
- Weight: 74 lbs
- Material: Premium stretch-knit cover
- Brand: Corsicana Mattress Co.
- CertiPUR-US foam with no harmful chemicals
- Shipped vacuum sealed and compressed in a box for easy transport
- Copper coils for cooling effect and natural ionization for freshness
- Somewhat heavier than typical memory foam mattresses
The Nectar gel memory foam mattress is a great choice for side sleepers and anyone who needs back support, with built-in pressure relief. This mattress has been described as incredibly comfortable. It adjusts to your body and feels like a hug. It has a cooling layer to reduce and wick away heat. Four other layers provide support and loft. And all this is delivered in a conveniently rolled package, with simple instructions for unrolling and airing. The mattress is compatible with nearly all types of bed frames and makes no noise when bearing weight.
Reviews are very favorable, with the only cons being the heavy weight of the mattress roll upon arrival, and a chemical smell that needs a few days to dissipate.
- Works with all bed types including: box spring, traditional frame, platform, adjustables
- Bouncier than memory foam
- Made with gel memory foam, which distributes weight evenly for contouring support
- Tencel cooling comfort: circulates air and wicks away heat
- Five layers, including cooling cover, two layers of gel memory foam for loft, and adaptive foam core
- Dimensions: 60''x 80''x 11"
- Weight: 74 lbs
- Material: Medical Grade Visco Elastic Memory Foam, Hi Core 9.2 Grade Transition Foam, High Vegetable Base, Super Core 5 lb Support Foam, Tencel Long Staple Fiber, Removable Cooling Cover
- Brand: Nectar
- Try Before You Buy policy allows you to return mattress if unhappy
- Designed with air circulation in mind
- Optimal level of firmness, coolness, breathability, and comfort
- Vacuum packed for easy shipping; handle to make it easy to carry
- Sometimes fresh foams have an off-gassing process when opening
- Weak edge support
Tuft and Needle mattresses have comfortable support for side sleepers, and offers versatile support for all sleep styles. It has a breathable polyester cover to allow easy air flow and temperature regulation. It conforms closely to your individual body type to offer a gentle hug-like, or cradling feel. The comfort layer is made of polyfoam Graphite and gel blends to wick away heat and moisture.
Some negative qualities include the difficulty in transporting the shipping box with no handles.
Backed by a 10-Year Limited Warranty, the Nod by Tuft & Needle also comes with a risk-free 100-Night Sleep Trial so you can take the time you need to decide if this mattress is right for you.
- Sleep cool throughout the night on open-cell foam infused with graphite and cooling gel to wick your body heat away from you
- With 30 percent more graphite, the top layer is designed to better wick your body heat away while still being soft and cozy
- The T&N Adaptive® foam is designed to be soft and cushy while remaining responsive and breathable
- Universally comfortable with a medium firm feel, the T&N Original has just the right amount of support for most people
- Works with most bed frames, including traditional, slatted, and platform
- Dimensions: 60” x 80” x 10”
- Weight: 72 lbs
- Material: Polyfoam comfort layer infused with graphite and gel, a 1.8 PCF high-density polyfoam support core, and a polyester/rayon cover. Ceramic gel and graphite interior provide excellent motion isolation and do not produce any noise when bearing weight.
- Brand: Tuft & Needle
- Warranty: 10-year limited
- Closer conforming and more pressure relief than most polyfoam beds
- No handles for moving/lifting mattress
- Limited firmness range
- Questionable edge support
The Sweetnight mattress features a two-inch thick gel memory foam layer. It consists of CertiPUR-US certified materials, and offers a unique multi-zone comfort system. Sweetnight has a two-sided design with one side being softer and the other offering more firmness. Gel fill allows more airflow and a cooler, better night’s sleep with plenty of support. In what is probably its most unique quality, this mattress is firmer in the middle, so there’s no sinking into pressure points. This mattress does not transfer motion, allowing your partner to sleep undisturbed.
The knit pillow top cover is naturally hypoallergenic and resistant to allergens, mold, bacteria, and dust mites.
This mattress fits all frames and comes vacuum packed and shipped in a box for easy set up after the recommended 72 hour expansion period.
- Consists of three distinct layers, all of which play their own part in providing you with the best sleep possible
- The first layer holds two inches of gel infused memory foam: the gel ensures a cooler sleep, while the memory foam gives the mattress its soft feel
- Sweetnight Mattress also features an additional five inches of comfort foam
- CertiPUR-US Certified, guaranteeing that none of the ingredients in the mattresses are harmful
- All Sweetnight mattresses come in an easy-to-handle cardboard box
- Sweetnight Mattress airs out quickly and without holding a trace of chemicals
- Dimensions: Queen: 80" x 60" x 12"
- Weight: 63.6 pounds
- Material: Soft rayon cotton cover. Foam is CertiPUR-US Certified.
- Brand: Sweetnight
- Offers perfect spinal alignment for side, back, and stomach sleepers
- Arrives compressed, rolled & shipped in a box for easy set up
- Great price for gel memory foam
- Mattress is flippable, with a plush and a firm side
- Multi-zone comfort system
- Very fluffy on both sides, not the mattress for you if you really want firm
The Bedstory lavender mattress is unique in that it is infused with lavender essential oil, which has known benefits for relaxation and sleep. Customers report that the light scent is long-lasting and pleasant.
The mattress is constructed with a 2.5-inch pure memory foam layer, 7-inch air-circulation foam layer, and a 2-inch high-density support foam layer inside the mattress. This ergonomic structure enables the mattress to mold to the sleeper's natural shape and keeps you cool while you sleep. It strikes a pleasant balance between firmness and softness.
The Bedstory Lavender mattress has uniquely supportive edges, something difficult to find in traditional memory foam.
The washable knit cover is designed to wick away heat and foam is thermal regulated and convoluted in design to allow airflow for a cooler night's sleep.
You may need to open a window during the initial decompression period if you are sensitive to strong fragrances, as the lavender scent is reported to be strong during off-gassing, but quite pleasant later.
All in all, this mattress has very favorable reviews for a low-budget option.
- Unlike other memory foam mattress, the BedStory Lavender Memory Foam Mattress comes with sweet scent due to infused lavender essential oils
- The mattress cover is made of knit fabric, which absorbs moisture, dries quickly, and helps the body breathe
- Seven inches of convoluted foam keeps the air flowing, ensures sleeping in a thermal comfort zone
- Mattress is compressed, rolled, and vacuum sealed in a single box
- Very reasonably priced at around $300
- Dimensions: 80" x 60" x 12"
- Weight: 71.5 lbs
- Material: Pure, high density memory foam
- Brand: Bedstory
- Attractive color scheme of blue and white along with gold accent trim
- Very pleasant light lavender scent to promote sleep
- Cover unzips for easy washing
- Mattress is reported to be floppy and difficult for a single person to maneuver once expanded
- It takes 48 to 72-hours for the mattress to fully expand
The Lucid 14-Inch plush memory foam mattress is layered for unique comfort. At the bottom of the mattress there is a high density support layer, followed by two memory foam comfort layers. The first is a 2-inch memory foam support layer and the next is a 3-inch layer of comfort memory foam. It’s topped off with a 1-inch layer of quilted bamboo charcoal memory foam, for a naturally fresh, hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant sleep environment.
The Lucid is designed to be highly breathable with good air circulation. The foam is uniquely designed for fast recovery, meaning it will not leave a lasting body impression.
Some customers have complained about the relatively short trial period. (30 days rather than the typical 100 days). The Lucid is comparatively heavy in weight compared to similar mattresses, but comes conveniently vacuum sealed and boxed.
- Bamboo and charcoal infused to eliminate odors and reduce moisture
- Naturally hypoallergenic
- Transition foam with calming aloe vera for a relaxing and fresh sleep experience
- Dual memory foam layers on top of a supportive base create a medium-plush feel
- Medium-plush, gel-infused memory foam hugs curves to relieve pressure, with ventilated design for better airflow and temperature
- Dimensions: 80" x 60" x 14"
- Weight: 92 llbs
- Material: TENCEL blend fabric (10 percent TENCEL lyocell, 90 percent polyester) Gel memory foam infused with bamboo and charcoal
- Brand: Lucid
- Compressed, rolled and shipped in an easy-to-manage box
- Bamboo and charcoal infused core for freshness
- CertiPUR-US Certified
- Helps align the spine to diminish pressure points
- Firm edge support
- Naturally resistant to dust mites
- Can have strong off-gassing which does not dissipate quickly
- May be too firm for stomach sleepers
- Only 30 day trial period vs. the more common 100 days
The Layla mattress is made to flip for comfort. Layla is medium soft on one side and firm on the other so you get two firmness levels in one mattress. The soft side of the Layla Mattress was specifically designed for side sleepers. It offers the cradling comfort of foam along with excellent pressure point support for your shoulder, hip, and lower back. Regardless of which side you choose, you can feel the structural support provided by the copper in the memory foam to help keep your body nicely aligned. As copper compresses, it strengthens, and this makes for excellent support for areas prone to pressure points like the hips and shoulders. When hips and shoulders are properly supported, this automatically works to keep your spine aligned, and Layla calls this Variable Support. It works to keep stomach, back, and side sleepers comfortable.
With Layla, you are getting two for the price of one: Soft on one side if you want a softer pressure-relieving sleep, or flip it over to the firm side for a more supportive feel.
The unique dual-sided copper-infused memory bed promotes temperature regulation while supplying amazing pressure relief.
- The Layla Mattress is a flippable memory foam bed that gives you two firmness options in one mattress
- Dimensions: Queen: 60W” x 80L” x 10"
- Weight: 80 lbs for queen
- Material: Cover is 66 percent polyester, 30 percent viscose, 4 percent poly/lycra. Outer layers are high density copper infused memory foam, the base layer is poly foam, and the air flow layer is convoluted foam.
- Brand: Layla
- Flippable design with two firmness options
- Close conforming for pain and pressure relief
- Good motion isolation
- Below-average price-point
- Fair edge support
- Flipping the mattress takes some effort
- Mandatory two-week break-in period for sleep trial
The Lasheen Mattress is a hybrid, bringing together the best qualities of a coil mattress—the support and bounce—together with the body-hugging, pressure-point relieving comfort of a gel memory foam mattress.
One thousand individually-wrapped pocket springs minimizes motion transfer for you and your partner, yet bring you good bounce quality. Great pressure point relief makes this mattress perfect for side-sleepers.
The soft fabric cover is designed to be breathable for better air flow, and coils are naturally better for air circulation that pure foam mattresses.
The Lasheen is a great choice for a heavier person and offers firm edge support.
This mattress comes rolled, vacuum sealed and shipped in a box for easy installment and works with all bed frames.
- Hybrid mattress combining the benefits of foam, coils, and other materials
- Individually pocketed for motion isolation
- Coils allow for more air flow than foam mattresses to help with temperature regulation for a cooler night’s sleep
- Twelve-inch motion-free memory foam pocket coil spring with breathable fabric cover
- Hybrid mattresses offer a good amount of bounce vs. foam alone
- Compressed, rolled and shipped in a box to your door
- Dimensions: 60'' x 80'' x12''
- Weight: 88 llbs
- Material: Memory foam, pocketed coils
- Brand: Lasheen-US
- Great support for heavier people
- Combines the spring and bounce of coils with the comfort of gel foam top
- Superior edge support
- Gel foam on top relieves back pain and pressure points
When it comes to sleep positions, everyone has their personal favorite for drifting off into sweet dreams. Studies have shown, however, that the majority of people spend most of the night hours sleeping on their sides. About 74 percent of people are side-sleepers, compared to only 16 percent who sleep on their stomachs, and 10 percent on their backs. This makes sense when you consider the fact that we spent the first nine months of our existence in a fetal position. According to Sleep.org, our sleeping posture can have a significant impact not only on our sleep, but also on our overall health. Poor support for our preferred sleep position can cause back and neck pain, sleep apnea, impaired circulation, headache, and perhaps the most dreaded... wrinkles!
Benefits and disadvantages of side-sleeping
Sleeping on your side has its benefits. It’s reported to help prevent acid reflux, and you are much less likely to snore in a side-sleeping position. However, besides promoting wrinkles on the side of your face from pillow creases, muscle and spine alignment can be adversely affected if you aren’t sleeping on a mattress made to support this position.
New advances for side-sleepers
Fortunately, mattresses for side sleepers have been around since the advent of memory foam mattresses, first in form-hugging polyurethane foam, and now in a variety of improved fillers, such as gel, and even gels infused with pleasant essential oils. Natural choices such as lavender, green tea, or ionizing copper are now available to enhance your night’s sleep.
The more recent choices in memory foam mattresses have been innovated with air circulation and cooling in mind, since the original foams, though very comfortable, tended to limit air-flow and cause overheating during sleep. The body-cradling ability of memory foams conform to your personal body weight, size, and sleep position to avoid uncomfortable pressure on vulnerable pressure points during the night, resulting in less tossing and turning and a deeper, more rejuvenating sleep.
Unfortunately, soon after throwing out our old pillow-top coiled mattresses and replacing them with the luxurious comfort of memory foam, some of us noticed a lack of bounce in our new bedding. This lack of bounce, while enhancing our sleep, did not exactly enhance other night time activities. But was this worth losing sleep over? Well… yes, obviously for some of us it was, but others wanted to know why they couldn’t have both. Hence, the drawing boards came back out, resulting in a product that offered the best of both worlds for those who desired it. Hybrids.
Hybrids generally have a coil spring core covered by one or more layers of a variety of foam materials to offer the bounce of a traditional mattress and the pressure point relief of memory foam.
So whatever it takes to ensure a great night’s sleep for any individual’s needs, there is now an ideal mattress choice out there. But where to begin? This guide breaks down the advantages and disadvantages of ten of the most popular mattress choices being currently advertised as ideal for side sleepers.