Shop Vacs: The Best of 2019
Finding the best shop vac can be challenging. It becomes even more of a challenge looking for vacs that can pick up, for example, drywall dust. For this task, you will need a very powerful vacuum to pick up tough debris that can be produced during construction or renovation projects.
The best shop vacs are regarded as the most versatile pieces of cleaning equipment around. These are well suited to sucking up both dry and wet messes. Some models are used for blowing leaves.
On the other hand, not all shop vacs are the same as some brands are better equipped to tackle multiple tasks. If you are out to find a vacuum that will suit your needs down to the ground, then you’ll need more time to think it over and make the right decision.
Homeowners who wish to clean up all sorts of messes in and around their property will soon realize there are different sizes of shop vacs.
The smaller shop vacs are excellent for use in your house to deal with spills and very easy to store. Larger vacs are designed to deal with bigger messes. Only you can decide which capacity shop vac will accommodate your needs best. It is a case of making the right decision as to what you want your shop vac to do and ensuring you pick the correct size.
Opting for a larger model is recommended if you are regularly involved in various projects in your workshop or garage.
Smaller capacity shop vacs will do just fine should you have limited space or only have a need for it to assist you with smaller cleaning tasks.
The VacuMaid is a mighty wall mounted garage and utility vacuum. It features a variety of useful cleaning applications and serves both residential and commercial cleaning needs. What comes to mind is an auto detail shop, all vehicles, basements, garages, utility rooms, and workshops.
Even though it is said that the VacuMaid is a costly shop vac, it makes up for it in terms of all its features. Unlike many other vacs of its kind, this one is made in the USA, boasts a powerful motor, features a 50-foot hose as well as an extensive array of cleaning tools, wands, and brushes.
The powder-coated and galvanized steel tank is made to last while the HEPA filters ensure any cleaning tasks get carried out hygienically. The 7-gallon tank capacity makes it easier to clean for more extended periods before emptying is required.
Most users say they experience a professional clean up and that this shop vac is very reliable in terms of functionality and durability. We rate this one highly simply because of how well it works!
To satisfy your curiosity regarding the high-quality accessory tools included with the VacuMaid, we thought of listing some of these. In no particular order, you get a caddy bag, hose hanger, crush-proof hose, 12-inch floor brush, telescopic wand, upholstery tool, crevice tool, as well as a curved wand. It also includes a handy mounting bracket and a HEPA style bag. All-in-all, this shop vac is worth every cent you pay for it.
- Wall mounted for added convenience
- The disposable HEPA type bag makes it a pleasure to utilize this shop vac
- The extreme filtration feature ensure a much cleaner indoor environment
- Boasts 7 different color options
- Capacity: 7 gallon
- Max Power: 5.5 HP
- Manufacturer: VacuMaid
- Warranty: 5 years
- Brand: VacuMaid
- Comes complete with a host of cleaning accessories and tools to ease the cleaning process
- Extremely powerful shop vac that caters to a variety of cleaning applications
- Users will experience up to 75% longer life compared to similar brands
- Hose may come attached at one end during use
2. Vacmaster Professional - Professional Wet/Dry Vac, 5 Gallon, Beast Series, 5.5 HP 1-7/8" Hose Jobsite Vac (VFB511B0201)
Boasting a strong suction as well as a powerful airflow, the Vacmaster Beast Series shop vac is well suited to tough tasks on a job site, for cleaning cars, cleanups in and around the garage, and houses. Dealing with small messes is not a problem at all.
In turn, this best shop vac boasts an array of accessories to handle all kinds of debris with ease. It converts into a blower when needed. The included muffler takes care of the noise of the vacuum if it gets too much for the user. Just be sure not to utilize the muffler when you are busy blowing leaves.
The accessories that will assist with all cleaning duties include a crevice tool, utility nozzle, dust cartridge filter, an extension wand, and noise diffuser.
The Vacmaster Professional is incredibly strong and usually found in home garages, where people easily use it to clean their vehicles. The crevice tool comes in particularly handy to clean in between seats.
The flat attachment feature is very hand to clean the carpeting and seats of your car. It would have been ideal if the shop vac featured a soft brush to take care of vacuuming duties on the dash and any vents.
The hose is a nice length but can be a bit longer as many people found that even with smaller vehicles they had to move their vacuum to either side of the car to get the cleaning job done to their satisfaction. It seems that the pipe extensions help a lot in this regard, which shows that the Vacmaster designers gave it some thought.
Overall, the Vacmaster Professional is a worthy contender as a shop vac.
- Very long power cord as it features a 25-foot cleaning reach
- Quick and easy to put together
- Rugged polypropolene tank that is hardwearing
- On-board hose storage that is fully integrated
- Capacity: 5 gallon
- Max Power: 5.5 HP
- Manufacturer: Vacmaster
- Warranty: 5 years limited
- Incredibly easy to switch from wet to dry
- Not that heavy and easy to carry
- Converts into a blower within seconds
- A wide array of accessories are available to ensure effortless cleaning
- Does not have any wheels
If you have a huge area that can do with a powerful suction, then the Shop-Vac 2030100 shop vac might be right up your alley. We love the fact that this vacuum is easy to move from place to place without any trouble.
Also, it features a strong suction and is ideal for taking care of cleanups in a fireplace or when cleaning your car. The only thing to bear in mind is that the 1.5-gallon canister is mostly suited to liquid spills.
While the actual filter cage may take up most of the interior volume of this shop vac, when using it for dry cleans, it will hold a lot less. This aspect is not too much of an issue as you can easily empty the vacuum.
The entire unit fits perfectly into a standard garbage bag, so there is no concerns over inhaling excess dust.
You need to remember to place your dry filter over the foam filter whenever you tackle a dry clean up procedure. The extra dry filter that is included is reusable.
A nice feature that makes this vac a worthy buy is the mounting brackets that are useful for the shop vac itself as well as the attachments.
What people like most about this Shop-Vac is that they do not need a bag. Coupled with the fact that the smaller vac is very powerful and runs for 4 hours nonstop. There is no doubt that this is an excellent shop vac. Most homeowners and many shop owners are thoroughly impressed by its versatility.
- Ideal to tackle any quick clean-up job anywhere
- Can be turned into a powerful blower
- Filters include a disposable collection filter bag and a foam sleeve
- Collapsible top carry handle ensure easy mobility of the shop vac
- Capacity: 1.5 gallon
- Max Power: 2 HP
- Manufacturer: Shop-Vac
- Warranty: 2 years
- Lightweight and portable way to tackle any household debris
- Ideally suited whenever there is an emergency cleanup that needs to be done in a hurry
- Free up wall space by wall mounting the shop vac
- An exhaust diffuser would have benefited the design
The Craftsman XSP shop vac is seen as one of the best wet/dry vacuums as they offer a very well-balanced combination of versatility, usability, and high power. Users can be sure this wet/dry vac provides the best cleaning power technology as it is designed to handle the toughest cleanup projects around your home, garage, or job site.
You want a heavy-duty vac such as the Craftsman to vacuum up metal shards, wood chunks, sawdust or nails, broken glass, flooded areas in your home or office, pickup of leaves and other dirt from your gutters. These are all the tasks this shop vac is very good at.
Homeowners are particularly impressed by the top-tray storage unit to conveniently store their power drills, tools, screws, or any other necessities for easy access later on.
The on-board hose, power cord, and accessory organizers reduce the need to still bother with additional storage space. Just as impressive is the extra-large canister to empty the contents without any hassles.
Craftsman fully backs up all their equipment and accessories so users can look forward to a smooth operation. What comes to mind is the effortless way you can attach or remove the hose. Another aspect worth talking about is the peace of mind users experience when they need to drag the water-filled shop vac around. They know full well that the hose is strong enough to take the punch.
The Craftsman also features an easily removable filter that is equipped with a screw cap. Other models involve a bit of twisting and pulling to get hold of the filter.
The bottom line is that it runs great. One just has to watch and be amazed how quickly this machine works its way through all debris, wood chunks, and any other random garbage.
- Has a 27-foot reach to allow cleaning all around without unplugging the unit
- Boasts a 5.5 Horsepower that makes tackling any cleaning job an effortless procedure
- Offers enhanced mobility on most surfaces as it features 360-degree swivel casters
- Control power easily with sealed on/off switch
- Capacity: 12 gallon
- Max Power: 5.5 HP
- Manufacturer: Craftsman
- Warranty: 1 year
- Can be quickly converted to a blower whenever the need arises
- Excellent for use in clearing flooded basements
- Includes a 9-piece accessory set to deal with any cleaning situation
- Attachments come loose at times when used for extended periods
5. WORKSHOP Wet Dry Vac WS1600VA High Capacity Wet Dry Vacuum Cleaner, 16-Gallon Shop Vacuum Cleaner, 6.5 Peak HP Wet And Dry Vacuum
The casters on the WORKSHOP shop vac might be smaller but of good quality. They are ideal for use in a shop, but not suited to hauling the machine over rough surfaces or hoses once the tank is full of water. Having said that, the four casters allow the shop vac to be moved around with ease. Furthermore, the quick-release top sits tightly and does not allow dust in or out when moved around.
The hose quality is excellent, and the built-in mechanism for removing it is very well designed. All the attachments fit like it should without worrying whether they will fall off when busy working. The hose flex a 180-degrees either end, which makes it so much easier to get into smaller cleaning spaces.
The on/off switch is very easy to flip into action to get the machine working. People love the powerful suction that is sufficient to take care of all cleaning duties. No one ever filed any complaints about this shop vac losing power.
Even though users were not entirely happy that they had to pull hard on the air filter to remove it, you can count yourself lucky as it is meant not just to fall off or loosen when you least expect it.
The WORKSHOP vac stands out in terms of the functional carry handles, large drains, and on-board storage. It sure is convenient to store the 20-foot power cord using the built-in cord wrap!
- 16 gallon capacity with plenty of room to clean up any space or room
- Qwik Lock Filter fastening system that makes filter changes a breeze
- This vac features sufficient onboard storage so you can keep all of your vacuum essentials in one place
- Sports a large drain port for easier emptying of wet materials
- Handy Locking Tab for quick and easy detachment
- Capacity: 16 gallon
- Max Power: 6.5 HP
- Manufacturer: WORKSHOP
- Warranty: 5 years limited
- Tough drum that will resist dents and cracks
- Much larger opening than smaller hoses
- Dual-Flex Locking Hose provides users with 180 degrees flexibility at both hose ends to ensure improved maneuverability
- Sufficient accessories in the form of a utility nozzle, wet nozzle, car nozzle, and 2 extension wands
- The wand extension should have a clip to hold in position
6. Vacmaster, VWM510, 5 Peak HP Wall Mount Wet/Dry Shop Vacuum with 2-Stage Motor and Remote Control
Many a wet/dry vacuum leaves much to be desired in terms of motor power. However, the Vacmaster excels in this area as it features an incredible 5 HP 2-stage motor that provides sufficient power to tackle any cleaning chore.
Plus, the 5-gallon shop vac is fitted with an array of accessories to ensure different types of jobs are so much easier to deal with. The Vacmaster includes an 11-foot standard hose, 10-foot flex hose, combo floor nozzle, extension wands, car nozzle, crevice tool, and even a round dust brush.
Furthermore, this shop vac has a super smooth operation and is equipped with a wall mount to ensure secure storage. This alone makes the Vacmaster one of the best shop vacs around.
No one has to wonder where the best place is to use this particular shop vac. One can use it anywhere, in your garage, the home, and even the basement as it's easy to detach and transport to different areas.
Just as useful is the fact that the vac features a remote control that is fitted on the handle to save users valuable time.
The 21-foot hose and 20-foot power cord make it as easy as pie to reach different areas of the room where cleaning is needed.
The saying goes that for every vac needed there is a master. The Vacmaster shop vacs do a stellar job in cleaning up any mess anywhere. You cannot go wrong with this vacuum as the manufacturers take great pride in delivering a high-quality product.
- Very easy to install on any wall due to wallmounted frame that includes 1 stud
- ABS plastic body design ensure this shop vac is lightweight and sturdy
- Remote control feature with easy on/off switch
- Impressive blower feature for getting rid of any debris off the workbench
- Capacity: 5 gallon
- Max Power: 5 HP
- Manufacturer: Vacmaster
- Warranty: 2 years
- Features an incredibly powerful suction for its size
- Fitted with a sizeable carry handle that allows for effortless portability
- Easy to reach out of the way jobs as its equipped 21-foot hose and 20-foot power cord
- Vacuum cartridge filter is washable
- Foam filters tend to wear out quickly
The best in the line-up of the Ridgid shop vacs happen to be the 16-gallon model that features a pleasing red. The stainless steel outer of the wet and dry shop vacuum is very eye-catching, and the vacuum itself delivers a potent suction while boasting a rugged construction, and superior mobility for use by contractors and homeowners.
While it is a given that industrial-like vacuums like these will not run without some background noise, this one is a cut above the rest as it features dampening technology, so you do not have to wear earmuffs.
This is one of those shop vacs that is considered rare. But at the end of the day, it all comes together. Surprisingly, the price tag is not a hefty, especially if you consider the world-class leading airflow, water suction abilities, robust power delivery as well as a solid chassis.
Users of the Ridgid brand found the high-powered suction impressive, especially if you consider that one such individual tested their shop vac on embedded pet hair.
Another stand out is that the hoses are wider and longer and presents no problems to do with picking up various objects. The larger wheels ensure that the vacuum rolls easily while the functional handle does not stand in the way of users moving the unit upstairs.
The hoses and tools stow away easily while the attached tool bag makes a breeze to locate any missing attachments or tools.
We highly recommend the Ridgid 50353RID model If you want the best shop vac around.
- Experience phenomenal air flow
- The 6.5 HP motor present you with all the grunt you need for a deep clean-up
- Superb and superefficient attachment bundle
- 16-gallon tank capacity lets you pick up large spills without having to empy out the bag
- Capacity: 16 gallon
- Max Power: 6.5 HP
- Manufacturer: Ridgid
- Warranty: Lifetime
- Works great, plenty of suction
- Moves around very well without any hiccups
- Great design for accessory storage
- No effective hose wrap provided
This vac is particularly good for use inside your car as its been designed to pick up both dry and wet debris. What is really good about the Armor All shop vac is that comes equipped with the right kind of accessories that is required for cleaning your vehicle.
One of the most impressive features with this model is that you can easily convert it to a blower to enable vehicle owners to remove dust and debris as well as dry the grills and wheels of your car.
Everyone loves the fact that the Armor All Utility shop vac does a sterling job of cleaning both dry and wet spillages. As the system is equipped with a noise and air diffuser, the overall operation is very quiet.
Without a doubt, this vac is a powerful contender. Some say it can be attributed to the fact that this shop vac sports a powerful 2 HP motor that shuts down the minute it detects that the tank is full.
Never have we been more excited to get down on our hands and knees and vacuum a car than now. This is all thanks to the blower nozzle, car nozzle, and detail brush.
Never again do you have to struggle in getting your car cleaned. Gone are the days of taking your vehicle to the local car wash where the cleaners come with their large and cumbersome vacuums with oversized nozzles to clean the hard to reach places in your car — all thanks to the innovative Armor best shop vac.
- Easy-to-use blower function
- Dedicated accessory storage to assist in organizing your tools
- Convenient size to take care of all cleaning jobs in your car
- Very lightweight and portable to ensure quick cleaning and detailing
- Capacity: 2.5 gallon
- Max Power: 2 HP
- Manufacturer: ArmorAll
- Warranty: 2 years
- 10-foot power cord assist car owners to reach all nooks and crevices in their vehicle
- Included all the accessories needed to ensure a deluxe cleaning experience
- Offers unlimited uses concerning cleaning up solid and liquid messes
- No assembly needed
- Power cord could be longer
There’s a huge call for smaller-sized best shop vacs. In this regard, Stanley plugs the gap with their 4-gallon unit that efficiently produces 70 CFM of airflow.
Along with this versatile shop vacuum, you get a host of handy accessories such as three extension wands, hoses, crevice nozzle to deal with awkward cleaning spots, as well as an all-purpose utility nozzle. Then, there is the handy floor brush too and a reusable dry filter. The best part is that all these are easily stored onboard the Stanley.
The only snag is that the power cord is a little bit too short for reaching spaces that are a bit too far away. Therefore, one needs to be careful about planning your cleaning duties to allow enough freedom of movement.
Putting any inconveniences aside, the Stanley delivers in all other areas as it proves itself to be quiet, portable, and powerful. No need to haul a full-sized 5-gallon vac to accomplish a quick clean up when you have the Stanley wet and dry shop vac by your side.
Add to that the smaller diameter hose, and you will soon realize this vacuum is a lot easier than the full-sized vacs. Also, the unit is very lightweight, the attachments are easy to store, and the handle is functional.
The power of a Stanley shop vac is outstanding. One user had to suck up cement dust and found it a simple exercise with this vac. The Stanley shop vac is certainly a no-nonsense model.
- Experience an extra boost to deal with stubborn messes thanks to the 70 CFM airflow
- Nicely sized 4-gallon container
- Easy to carry, as it features a lighweight and compact design
- High performance motor produces maximum power
- Capacity: 4 gallon
- Max Power: 4 HP
- Manufacturer: Stanley
- Warranty: 1 year
- Keep everything within reach thanks to generous onboard storage
- Made available in various sizes and capacities
- Swiveling casters simplify moving your shop vac around
- Accessory bundle is a real plus for the price you pay
- Suction may seem underpowered at times
If you are on the lookout for a shop vac that easily handles small to medium cleaning duties, then DeWALT 9 Gallon Poly Wet and Dry Vac is the one to use. It is sturdy and portable while featuring a 9 Gallon tank that is made to take care of any job site cleanups. The heavy-duty motor ensure maximum performance.
The shop vac also features a built-in blower port that is sought after by homeowners who often have to deal with leaves, sawdust, and other debris.
The DeWalt shop vac boasts a fine-dust cartridge filter that does an excellent job of taking care of any wet materials and debris.
Those in charge of any cleaning duties, favor the swiveling casters as it features rubberized materials that is durable and makes it very easy to maneuver the cleaning machine in any direction. The built-in tank drain ensures there is no difficulties when emptying the dirty content.
Towards the top of the DeWalt vac you will notice the large handles. On further investigation, you’ll find it doubles as a cord-wrap, which is a very nice feature, to say the least.
Then, there is the convenient, built-in 20-inch power cord, coupled with the accessory bag at the back of your shop vac, ensure it is super easy to organize all your tools and accessories.
One thing is for sure, the DeWalt 9 Gallon best shop vac packs a punch in that it serves a threefold function in that you can use it as blower, dust extractor, and vacuum for wet and dry areas.
- Perfect for taking care of small to large cleanups
- Rubberized casters lets the user move around easily regardless of the terrain
- Built-in blower port strong enough to blow debris and sawdust and debris away
- Powerful 5 HP motor ensures strong suction
- Capacity: 9 gallon
- Max Power: 5 HP
- Manufacturer: DeWALT
- Warranty: 3 years
- The ergonomic waterproof switch eliminates fears around electricity
- Once you get accustomed to this shop vac, you will find they are very easy to maintain
- One can use the vac as a bagless or bagged unit
- The floor nozzle is great for vacuuming concrete flooring and does a good job on wall-to-wall carpeting too
- Powercord is a little short
Many a homeowner would benefit from opting for a shop vac that some would know as a wet/dry vacuum. These cleaning machines are not just reserved for folks involved in construction projects. Having said that, the ability to suck up sawdust and pick up the odd nail is a great time saver.
In some instances, the flooring might be a little delicate and will end up getting scratched by the bristles of the broom. Shop vacs would be a better choice for cleaning up the mess.
The following are some of the features of most shop vacs:
Shop Vac Capacity
People want to know how much water, sawdust, dirt, or debris the vac can hold. Small-sized vacuums might be useful as they are easy to carry around, but larger vacs will hold more content before the need arises to empty it. Large vacuums tend to be a little heavy when the time comes to empty these and also clunky to move about.
Shop Vac Portability
This is something that goes hand in hand with capacity as you would need the vac to be a specific size. You may need your vac to fit snugly under a workbench. What if you want the vac to be moved across rough terrain? When used extensively indoors, it would be great if the machine is fitted with caster wheels. Larger wheels are a requirement for outdoor use.
The Power of Shop Vacs
When invested with more power, shop vacs will feature greater suction capabilities, which will ensure easier and faster cleanup.
The Size of the Shop Vac Hose
Size matters as the smaller hoses seem to be longer and ensure an extended reach. Dust extractors are usually equipped with these hoses. Small shop vacs typically have narrow and shorter hoses.
What is the shop vac's Canister Outer Material?
Many a wet/dry vacuum are constructed from plastic. Some models are made from metal materials.
Shop Vac Draining and Emptying
Potential buyers want to know if it is easy to empty the canister of the shop vac. What can be done should the tub be full of dirty water? Can it be drained at the bottom of the tank? The last thing you want is having to lift a very heavy tub to empty it.
Filters for Shop Vacs
Can you get replacement filters without too much of a sweat? What about dust bags, are they readily available? It would be useful if a shop vac has a washable filter to ease the burden of dealing with specific tasks.
What to know about shop vac Power Switches
Just as important is the power switch as it should be large enough to toggle on or off. In many cases, users wear gloves and need to power the unit on when required. On the other hand, the switch should be positioned in such a way that the shop vac does not get switched off unintentionally.