Weed Killers: The Best of 2019
Everybody loves a well-maintained garden. But the work that goes into making one can be quite taxing. Weeds, for one, are very annoying. They keep popping up within weeks of removing them. The traditional weed removal methods are time-consuming and require hard work. Thankfully, in today’s world, we have got something called ‘weed killers’ that make our lives a lot easier.
We can use a watering can or a tank sprayer to apply the formula. Some companies are also attaching comfortable spray handles with the containers to make it even more convenient for their customers.
The RM43 43-Percent Glyphosate Plus Weed Preventer Total Vegetation Control boasts of a concentrated formula of glyphosate and imazapyr. It is a dual-action solution that can be used for killing weeds and preventing its growth effectively. The brand has quickly become well-known due to its high quality and competency to kill even the most stubborn unwanted growth. It is can be sprayed on patios, driveways, sidewalks, fence rows, and parking areas. You can even use the product on gravel paths, and around your farms and barns areas. It has longevity for up to 1 year. The product can be used on non-vegetation or crop areas as a spot treatment. Just spray the solution over bushes, weeds, vines, or even the bare ground for complete vegetation control. A 2.5 gallon of the RM43 solution can actively treat around 43,243 square feet of land. By just diluting the formula with water, you will be able to perform your lawn chore easily. However, take care to not spray the solution over the roots of plants deemed desirable by you. You will be able to see visible results within a week. The major plus point of the product is that there are many positive reviews by people who have already purchased them for its simplicity and value for money.
- Dual action formula can kill weeds and stop them before growing
- No weed growth for around a year
- Can be used on non-crop areas to control vegetation growth
- A 2.5-gallon product can treat 43,243 square feet
- Is effective on driveways, sidewalks, fence rows, parking areas, and gravel paths
- Product Form: Pre-Emergent
- Size: 2.5 gallon
- Active Ingredient: Glyphosate + Imazapyr
- Manufacturer: Ragan & Massey Inc
- Brand: RM43
- Very potent to kill even the most stubborn weeds
- A lasting effect of around a year
- Excellent reviews by existing customers
- Unclear instructions for novices
- Many precautions need to be taken while using
- Takes time to work
The Green Gobbler's contact weed killer helps to remove any type of weed and grass in just a couple of hours making it one of the fastest working products in the market. The product is made from the ethanol distilled from corn grain and helps to kill weeds and other unwanted plant growth without the use of harmful chemicals like glyphosate. OMRI has also approved it to be used organically. The 20 percent Vinegar Weed Killer completely eradicates all the types of broadleaf weeds. It contains 20 percent acetic acid that can kill white clover, crabgrass, musk thistle, oxalis, moss, and dandelions effectively to name a few. The product comes with a trigger sprayer. You just need to spray the formula on the target areas using the trigger sprayer for optimal results. The product can be used on the pavers in walkways, foundations, and fences. You can also spray the weed killer on flower beds, mulch beds, farmlands, parking lots, barns, and concrete. This is why is perfect for residential, commercial, agricultural, and industrial use. It is a ready-to-use mix and as such can be used straight out of the container. The manufacturer has carefully developed the formula to make it free of toxic chemicals, but still potent. Its strength is four times more in comparison to the table vinegar. The product even comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee which makes it a favorite among customers.
- Perfect for agricultural, commercial and residential use. It can be used on foundations, fences, flower beds, pavers, concrete, etc
- Made from the ethanol distilled from the grains of corn
- Contains 20% acetic acid and no other toxic chemicals
- Option to avail a full refund
- Eradicate broadleaf weeds within a day
- Certified by OMRI for organic use
- Product Form: Ready-to-use, contact, and organic
- Size: 1 gallon
- Active Ingredient: 20% acetic acid
- Manufacturer: Green Gobbler
- Doesn’t contain toxic chemicals and is organic
- Safe for pets
- 4 times stronger than table vinegar
- Money-back guarantee
- Not as effective before or during the rains
- Destroys desirable plants on contact
The Garden Safe Brand Weed and Grass Killer are perfect for you if you like to grow your own vegetables and crops. It contains a herbicidal soap that can effectively kill a variety of weeds and grass. You can use the product to control the growth of crabgrass, chickweed, dandelions, plantain, redroot pigweed, sheep sorrel, and thistle. Even stinkweed, shepherd's purse, groundsel, corn spurrey, annual bluegrass, and round-leaved mallow fall under its jurisdiction. In addition to the soap, the product also contains natural ingredients that help maintain your lawn in the best possible way. The product is manufactured in a way to allow easy handling. It has its nozzle that makes the solution ready to use. The main plus point of the product is its onset time. You can results in as little as 20 minutes after use. The formula of the products actively attacks weed growth, accelerating their wilting process and turning them brown. However, care has to be taken to ensure that the solution comes only in contact with the targeted plants. It is better to cover desirable plants and grass with plastic covers before spraying the weed killer. The main reason for this is the non-selective nature of the formula which means it may kill any plant growth it comes in contact with.
- Within just 20 minutes of applying, weeds start to wilt and turn brown quickly
- Contains an herbicide soap with other natural ingredients to help control weed growth
- Can be used straight away as it comes with its nozzle
- Safe for pets to be around plants once the solution is dry as it is nontoxic
- Product Form: Ready to use, nonselective
- Size: 24 ounce
- Active Ingredient: Herbicidal soap
- Manufacturer: Garden Safe
- Can be used all year round
- Begins working in 20 minutes
- Perfect for vegetable and fruit growth
- Pet-friendly and environment-friendly
- Doesn’t kill the weeds from their roots
An already established brand, Roundup Extended Weed and Killer Plus Weed Protector II is a perfect product for both, killing weeds and even preventing their growth. It has established goodwill with its excellent quality, dual-action formula that actively kills the weeds from their roots. By just mixing the solution with some water, you can bid adieu to those unwanted weeds for around 4 months. You can spray the solution over your lawn before the weeds sprout and then again when you notice new ones popping here and there. It comes with an easy to use wand which makes the spraying action more accurate, without the need for you to bend over. The formula is very versatile as it can be used for your driveways, lawns, sidewalks, curbs, mulch beds, and patios. It is even suitable for use on stone surfaces like gravel and decorative rocks. Its specially designed formula makes the solution rainproof in just about 10 minutes after it's sprayed. You won’t have to go through the hassle of mixing as the product already comes premixed. It also comes with a spray cap which makes the entire process very convenient. You can see a noticeable difference in 3 hours. It is a more heavy-duty product that is still gentle enough to be used on native flower beds. Its non-selective, systemic weed killing and preventing nature makes the product a top product on the market.
- Dual-action formula perfect for killing and preventing weeds in your lawn
- Comes premixed and has a spray cap
- Can be used for your patios, fences, driveways, flower beds, sidewalks, and gravel areas
- Quick action; can kill weeds within a few hours
- Rainproof function also activates itself within 10 minutes
- Product Form: Premixed, non-selective contact and systemic
- Size: 24 ounce
- Active Ingredient: Glyphosate
- Manufacturer: Scotts - Mixing Warehouse Items
- Kills the weeds from their roots and stops its further growth
- Convenient to use
- A quick and efficient formula
- Sprayer needs to be of higher quality
- Heavy to carry
- Contact with hands may cause a burning sensation
When you have a beautiful garden of your own, you will require a weed killer that is selective in its working. If you use a product that fights everything it comes in contact with then you will end up with a brown lawn and all your hard work in cultivating those beautiful shrubberies down the drain. Products like the Southern Ag 2,4-D Amine is very useful in such cases. Taking an example, the product can kill the St. Augustine grass which is fairly common and often unwanted by many gardeners. AG 24D Amine can kill such lawn grass strains without any damage to the surrounding foliage. It actively attacks selective broadleaf weeds that are commonly found in many lawns. The product comes in a concentrated form that will allow you the flexibility to adjust the solution. If you feel that you need to increase the concentrate for more effective results, you can do so without worrying about any damage to other growing plants on the lawn. It can cover major portions making it cost-effective for many. It actively controls the sprouting of any weeds without damaging your grass. Having said that, you will have to use the product as a combination with other products. Southern Ag 2.4-D Amine can be used with the solution to help you eradicate those stubborn weeds. All in all, it’s certainly an efficient product that can help you manage the plant growth in your lawn.
- Facilitates selective removal of plant growth
- Kills wood plants and weeds very efficiently
- The concentrated amount can be adjusted as per need
- Helps to exercise control over the growth of broadleaf weeds and crops
- Product Form: Concentrate, selective, contact
- Size: 1 quart
- Active Ingredient: Dimethylamine salt of 2,4-D 46.8%
- Manufacturer: Albaugh, LLC
- Selective in killing vegetation and plant growth
- Allows the flexibility to adjust concentrate amount
- Kills grass strains like St. Augustine which other weed killers may find difficult
- Visible results in just a couple of days
- Doesn’t kill all types of weeds
- Only available in quart size
If you’re looking for something efficient to kill most of the unwanted vegetation, the Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer Concentrate is just the product for you. Its non-selective nature helps it eradicate the majority of the weeds that it comes in contact with. It serves the double purpose of removal and prevention of unwanted weed growth. It has an advanced formula that helps to control weed growth for up to 1 year after killing the existing growth. You can apply the product on hard surfaces. If you have unwanted vegetation growing in the cracks of your gravel paths or patios, this weed killer can effectively manage that. It contains glyphosate and imazapyr that makes its action quick. The perfect time to use Ortho GroundClear is when the temperature is over 60 degrees Fahrenheit as then it’ll work the best. You can expect results in just a couple of hours. The product is also compatible in many areas. You can use it on patios, walkways, fence rows, and driveways. The product can be applied by using a sprinkling can or a tank sprayer which makes the entire application process very easy and efficient. You, however, do need to take care that the solution only comes in contact with unwanted plant growth. Desirable plants should be kept away to avoid any damage.
- No weed growth after removal for up to 1 year
- Can give you quick results in just a few hours
- Can be sprayed easily by using a sprinkler or a sprayer
- Can be applied on pathways, driveways, fences, and patios or any other hard surface
- Product Form: Nonselective, systemic
- Size: 32 ounce, 1 gallon, 2 gallon
- Active Ingredient: Glyphosate and Imazapyr
- Manufacturer: Ortho
- Easy application of the product
- Nonselective nature makes it kill nearly all weed type
- Quick working results
- Prevents weed growth for up to a year
- Leaves a strong smell for a few hours after use
- Requires heavy product application
Preen Garden Weed Preventer is a perfect solution to banish those unwanted weeds in the uncommon places of your abode. It should be noted that this product helps to stop the further growth of weeds as it is a weed preventer. It also means that it will not necessarily kill the grown weeds. You can use the product for up to 90 days before the germination process of the weed starts, effectively preventing any new growth. It can keep your land free of any unwanted growth for around 3 months after each use. The product is specially designed to not cause damage to around 200 types of vegetables, flowers, trees, and shrubs. The formula is friendly with edibles crops as well. Also, this weed preventer can be used all around the year no matter what the temperature or weather. You will not need to worry about the product causing any damage to the other foliage around your house. It should be remembered that this product isn’t suitable to be used on lawns. You can enjoy the coverage of nearly 5,000 square feet by using this product. The manufacturers also give the buyers the choice of buying a refill for its flip-top applicator bottle. If you’re new to using weed management products, this is just the product for you as it comes with clear instructions regarding its application.
- Can effectively block further growth of weeds but will not necessarily kill the existing growth
- 900 square feet or coverage by using 5.625 lb. product
- Can be used around 200 types of flowers and shrubs without causing any damage
- Weeds will not reappear for up to 3 months after every use
- Product Form: Ready to use, pre-emergent, selective
- Size: 31.1 lbs., 16 lbs., 13 lbs., and 5.625 lbs.
- Active Ingredient: Trifluralin
- Manufacturer: Lebanon Seaboard Corporation
- A reliable and established brand for weed prevention
- Lasting effect for up to 3 months
- Not harmful to desirable flowers, shrubs, and trees
- Can be used throughout the year
- Doesn’t kill existing weed
- Needs work on its packaging quality
- Isn’t as effective on crabgrass
The Bayer Advanced All-in-One Lawn Weed and Crabgrass Killer are perfect to eradicate your lawn weeds and crabgrass without harming the rest of your lawn. This product is extremely efficient in killing around 200 types of broadleaf plant growth such as clover, dandelions and so on. Crabgrass is one of the most prevalent growing grasses that many gardeners want to eradicate. Many products are not as effective when it comes to crabgrass. But not the Bayer Advanced Weed and Crabgrass Killer. The product will give you the advantage to actively kill and prevent its growth. The results are visible within a short period. That being said, you have to follow the instructions diligently to get effective results. It will be no problem as the instructions are easy to comprehend. What sets this product apart from the other weed killers is its high efficiency when it comes to killing stubborn weeds and serious brush. The product is perfect to control the unwanted growth of vines, brush and few stumps. If you are not a fan of concentrated weed killers then this is just the correct choice for you. The product has a ready-to-use formula that helps to save time. In just about 1 hour of applying the product, its rainproof effect is activated. All in all, this product is perfect when you want the complete removal of lawn weeds and grass from their roots.
- An advanced formula facilitates the complete removal of weeds from the roots
- Really easy to apply and comes with clear instructions
- The solution doesn't need to be diluted
- Rainproof function activates within an hour
- Product Form: Ready to use
- Size: 1 gallon
- Active Ingredient: 4-D dimethylamine salt
- Manufacturer: SBM Life Science
- Highly effective in killing weeds and grass from the roots
- Suitable to be used on lawns as it has a selective nature
- Can be used as a spot treatment
- Has a longer onset period
- Directions to use must be carefully followed otherwise it'll be ineffective
- Care needs to be taken to prevent contact with desirable plants
Spectracide Weed & Grass Killer Concentrate shows visible results in just about four hours. This is how fast its working is. You can replant your flowers, shrubs, and trees in just the following weekend. It is an efficient weed killer and preventer that has the power to kill more than 155 species of weed. It is also equally effective on concerned roots. It is very similar to a crabgrass killer and kills grass as well. The basic functioning of the product is to attack the roots of the targeted plants. It enters the plant body through the leaves and then to their root system, leading to complete removal of the target plants. The product is really quick in terms of its effect due to which any vegetation once killed will not reappear for around three months. The protective barrier of the product is designed by Spectracide in such a way that stops the regrowth of weeds and grass for a certain time. Its efficiency even extends to stubborn plants like dandelion and clover. The solution can be sprayed over the plants preferably when the outside temperature is around 60 degrees. Dilute the solution with water and then use the sprayer to spray the amount as directed on the product label. It can be sprayed on plantlings, shrubs, trees, and flowerbeds to control and kill weeds. The product should be refrained from being used around edible crops like fruits or vegetables.
- Has to be mixed with water; use a tank sprayer to cover target plants
- Visible results in just 3 hours after use
- Targets the root system of the plants effectively killing unwanted grass and weeds
- Can be sprayed on walkways, driveways, flowerbeds and around fences
- The rainproof application is activated in 15 minutes
- Product Form: Concentrate, non-selective herbicide
- Size: 64 ounce
- Active Ingredient: Diquat dibromide
- Manufacturer: Spectracide
- Visible results in just 3 hours
- Kills targeted weeds and grass from their roots
- Can prevent weed regrowth for 3 months
- Money-back guarantee
- Not friendly with fruit and vegetable gardens
- Cannot be used as a spot treatment
The Compare-N-Save Concentrate is a concentrate perfect for killing the weeds from the roots. By just diluting it with water, you can see results even when the temperature is as high as 60 degrees centigrade. It is a ready-to-use solution that has high effectiveness to remove the weed. The product is a bestseller that allows you the flexibility to replant your treated areas in less than a day. It does not harm seeds and soil in any way. The waterproof function of the product can be activated in just 2 hours. You can see visible results in about 2 to 4 days. The product is just a weed killer and thus, for best results, you can spray the solution on the leaves of the plant. The container can kill weeds and grass growing on over 25,000 square feet. The product can be made up to 85 gallons of spray. Its versatile nature allows the use of the product on driveways, walkways, and along fences. Also, you can spray the product on flower beds, shrubs, and trees without any danger of spoiling them. Be sure to follow the instructions for safe use around edibles like fruit and vegetable patches. It is recommended to use 1.5 ounces of the product concentrate in 1 gallon of water for optimum use in case of general weed growth. For tougher growth, 2.5 ounces of the product would be sufficient to curb growth.
- Highly concentrated product is efficient to kill weeds from their roots
- Has the efficiency to cover around 25,000 square feet of land
- Rainproof effect is activated in just two hours of spraying the product
- Can be used on driveways and flower beds, gravel paths and vegetable gardens
- Product Form: Concentrate, non-selective, contact and systemic
- Size: 1 gallon
- Active Ingredient: Glyphosate
- Manufacturer: Ragan and Massey Inc
- Kills the weeds from the roots
- Not harmful to the buyer and the environment
- Easy adjustment in product concentration
- Results are not that immediate
- Doesn’t prevent the growth of weeds
There are many types of weed killers available in the market. Here, we’ll try to educate you about the seven main types, and then you can choose one which is best suited to your needs. The weed killers are as follows:
Selective Weed Killers
These types of weed killers remove only a specific species of weed. They don’t harm other desirable plants when it comes in contact with them. The selective weed killers are most effective in removing broadleaf weeds. It takes around 4 to 6 weeks for the results to show. Here, the weed’s growth is stimulated to the extent where it cannot adapt and ends up dying. Usually, one application of this weed killer can last for a whole season.
Non-Selective Weed Killers
This type of weed killers kills every plant that it comes in contact with. It is this erosive nature of the products that make them perfect to be used on hard surfaces like driveways, sidewalks, concrete and gravel path.
This type of herbicide is used to kill plant seeds that haven’t yet germinated. Visible results can be seen within 6 to 12 weeks but the product needs to be applied in the fall. They do not have any effect on weed seeds that had already germinated and as such have to be used beforehand.
The post-emergence herbicides can be used to kill those weed seeds that have already germinated. You can take maximum benefit from these herbicides when you apply them to the weed plants in their early stages.
Contact Weed Killers
This type of weed killers actively kills most of the above-ground growths. Contact weed killers are supposed to be sprayed on the plant leaves. They start working as soon as you spray them on the plant making them fast-acting. Some of these weed killers are even rainproof.
Systemic Weed Killers
When you apply systemic weed killers on the target area, it travels down to the root system of the plant. Although a little slow, it helps to break the plant down. When applied on the leaves, these weed killers move all around the plant and then reach the root. Hence, they kill the plant as a whole.
Residual Weed Killers
This type of weed killer creates a weed-killing barrier in the soil. This prevents any further growth of weed seeds as the germination is blocked. They are effective and last a whole season. But, the treated area should be left without any disturbance once treated.
Choosing the correct weed killer depends on your purpose and the needs of your backyard or lawn. There are a variety of weed killers available in the market so it is better to do some research before placing an order. Determine the weed type and your location and then choose a weed killer which suits your purpose most efficiently.