Our guide to picking the best self tanning lotion for your needs
No matter what type of skin you have, you can benefit from using a quality self tanning lotion. When you rely on this skin care staple, you no longer have to soak in harmful UV rays in an effort to achieve a sun-kissed look. Self tanning products give your skin the same golden-brown hue that you would get from laying out on the beach, but they help you get the job done faster, safer, and with less effort. Tanning naturally requires you to stay in the sun for a significant amount of time and repeat the process once the tan wears off. This extensive sun exposure can cause severe damage to your skin and overall health.
If you’re ready to switch to sun-free tanning products, you can save yourself a lot of time and benefit your health. However, finding the best self tanning lotion is a process that involves a lot of deliberation and research. Fortunately, this guide is here to help simplify your search.
Know Your Skin Needs
The key to making the right decision when looking for self tanning lotion is to understand your unique skin needs. Everyone is different, and one person’s ideal product may not work for someone else. If you aren’t sure which type of lotion is most appropriate for you, read on to better understand the different qualities that you should look for.
- Natural color: The last thing you want is to be left with an unnatural orange glow after applying your lotion. The self-tanning product you choose should enhance your skin’s natural color. Before you settle on a lotion, make sure that the promised shade complements your natural skin tone. Taking this step will help you achieve a healthy but attractive look.
- Best ingredients: The easiest way to distinguish a low-quality product from a high-quality one is to read the ingredients. Most effective self-tanning lotions will contain dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which reacts with the proteins in the skin’s outer layer to create a bronze color. It’s also worthwhile to look for erythrulose, an active ingredient that helps your tan last long, and dimethyl isosorbide (DMI), which boosts the effects of the tan and enhances the golden-brown color.
- Odor-free: An unpleasant odor can understandably be a major turn-off when you look for the right self-tanning lotion. However, there are plenty of lotions that are completely odor-free, allowing you to enjoy your tanning experience without being repelled by the smell. An odor-free product also prevents others around you from noticing the strong smell.
- Non-comedogenic: This is a crucial element of self-tanning lotions that you shouldn’t overlook. Non-comedogenic products are formulated in a way that does not cause clogged pores. If you want to properly protect your skin while using self-tanning lotion, be sure to keep an eye out for this feature. Choosing a non-comedogenic product can benefit your skin in the long run.
- Paraben-free: Numerous studies have demonstrated the many harmful effects of parabens. From speeding up the aging process to increasing the risk of breast cancer, parabens can take a major toll on human health. It’s worth taking a minute to confirm that the lotion you choose is free of any parabens.
If you pay close attention to these important aspects, you can find the self-tanning lotion that caters to your needs. The product that’s best for you can help you achieve optimal results.
Is Lotion Right for You?
There are many different types of self tanning products, and the two most common types are sprays and lotions. While sprays can cover your skin with a decent tan, lotions are more convenient and give you more control over your tan. Sprays can usually only be applied in the bathroom or shower due to the possibility of over-spraying, while lotions can be applied anywhere and at any time. When you use lotion, there is no risk of over-spraying. In addition, the tinted nature of lotion allows you to see if you’ve missed any spots while applying the product.
If you want to treat yourself to a tan that looks like you spent a relaxing day at the beach, self tanning lotion can help you achieve an effortless yet gorgeous look. You will also avoid the health consequences of unprotected sun exposure with the help of self-tanning lotion. Plus, this product gives you the freedom to touch up your tan at any time. With self-tanning lotion, you can give your skin a natural glow even on a cloudy day.